You may be aware that the government is currently allocating additional funding to schools in the form of The Pupil Premium.
There are various circumstances which can attract Pupil Premium funding:
- Children eligible for Free School Meals (FSM)
- Children who have claimed FSM in the past 5 years (known as Ever Six)
- Children of current Regular Armed Services Personnel
- Children designated as ‘Looked After’
The rationale behind the Pupil Premium funding is that historically, these groups of children have underperformed throughout their school careers, across the country. The government has therefore decided to target money directly through schools to see what can be done. This has given schools the opportunity to use the money in whatever way they think is most appropriate for their students.
Using the example of FSM, in common with most schools across the Country, it is likely that a number of parents/carers whose children attend The Aspire Academy fail to claim FSM, even though they are entitled to them. As the school will receive additional funding based on the number of children who receive FSM I am writing to all parents to ask if they believe they may be entitled to claim FSM for their children, and do not already do so, to make a claim. In order to claim FSM a parent/carer must be claiming one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance – Income Based
- Employment and Support Allowance – Income Related
- Support under part V1 of the immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
Further information can be found at:
Please note that the process is completely confidential.
If you think you may qualify please complete and return the attached application form, or if you require further advice/information please contact either Mrs Blower on 01905 455422.